Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The glasses make the man

Years ago, I listened to Oprah, shelled out a few bones, and bought the movie "The Secret". I wasn't interested enough to buy the book, but I figured I could spare an hour in front of the tv if it would change my life around. I got cozy on the couch, popcorn in hand, and prepared my mind to be blown. It wasn't. I mean, I suppose I took a few pointers here and there, and overall I can see how it could help you improve your mindset with positive thinking...but....I don't believe that great things happen to you as long as you ask the universe to send them your way. Too many people bought a book, read it over and over, and then proceeded to be lazy as hell and demand that the universe send them a winning lottery ticket. I believe in kharma, and I believe in fate to a degree, but The Secret just pushed it too far. I don't believe my little store will ever see the light of day if I don't get off my ass and make it happen. Its going to take a lot of hard work, plenty of preparation and planning, a chunk of change, and some serious drive.

In an effort to get the ball rolling, I've decided to check off that "chunk of change" portion of my to-do list. So I'm picking up shifts at the restaurant and working later hours every chance I can get. Unfortunately, that doesn't leave much time for anything else. I'm still getting to thrift stores whenever I can but I haven't had much time in the last week to blog about it. I'll try to be better, I promise.

I suppose one thing I did take away from that ridiculous movie (or maybe I learned this more from my short lived real estate career), was that wording is pretty important. When anyone inquires, I tell them about my plans to open a thrift store. That is immediately followed with a lengthy explanation of how its not really a thrift store, more of a cute little clothing store, with nice clean stuff, that are all just slightly used but still amazing, and don't smell anything like old ladies or moth balls, or old ladies that smell like moth balls, and other stuff too like furniture and decor, so I guess its not really a clothing store, more of an everything store, but its going to have style and all that jazz, with good music playing while you shop, and recessed lighting, and slate floors, and HOLY HELL THATS A LONG EXPLANATION!!!! Wording is everything and the fact that I feel the need to describe every detail of my dream store, in hopes that no one will be confused and think I'm opening a Goodwill, well...that's a sign that my wording is a bit off. I'm not opening a thrift store, or a thrift shop, or a used clothing store. Its not an antique store, or a consignment shop, or even a second hand stand. Its got style, variety, and class. Its a boutique of the finest sort with items that anyone can afford, and it doesn't need to be justified. I'm fairly confident that "resale boutique" says it all. So there it is.

On to the finds...

Last week, Shawn and I went to the Arc on Washington between 88th and 92nd Ave. I found two shirts that were on sale for $1.50 a piece. One is just a cute yellow tee with fish on it...more of a lounging around being a bum, kinda shirt. The other is a super cute cream colored shirt with tiny wooden beads embroidered on it. I would share pictures, but the tee is in the laundry and the other shirt is not exactly photogenic. Its adorable on, but on the hanger it looks like it belonged to some hippy art teacher in Boulder. I promise to take a picture next time I'm wearing it, and in the mean time, you'll just have to settle for a few pictures of Shawn's finds.

I found him this Hurley tee for $2.  I don't think he's thrilled about it because, well, I haven't seen him wear it yet. I can't win them all. :(


He found this hemp belt and was pretty excited.


Not nearly as excited as he was to find these safety glasses, however. I laughed for at least three whole minutes before I could steady my hands long enough to take this picture. (The grinder was put back in the housewares department not long after this one was snapped).


Those glasses are now being used every day in his school, either by him or his classmates with equally awesome taste.

The only other thing we got at this shop was a glass jar. I already have two smaller ones (courtesy of yard sales), and this one matches perfectly so... Now I just have to find something to put in it.


Before I go, I thought I'd share our WTF of the day...


In case you can't tell. They are flip flops. And they are priced at $3.99. Yeah. Umm. Just yeah.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you explained they were flip flops because I didn't notice that, I thought they were a pile of ties for some little girl's hair! Great blog!